INSTITUTE FOR DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT JOB DESCRIPTION
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug-Free Workplace
The Institute for Diversity and Inclusion in Emergency Management’s (I-DIEM) is a global, nonprofit established to facilitate change by integrating equity into all aspects of emergency management. Our mission is to support the development and implementation of innovative community-based, mitigation and adaptation projects to enhance resilience in diverse, vulnerable, and underserved communities. Essential to impactful change is the stellar abilities of our team to lead local, state, national, and global emergency management efforts that improve equitable mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery for vulnerable, underserved, and marginalized communities.
We are currently seeking an experienced Emergency Management Specialistto lead and coordinate our emergency management initiatives, projects, services, and deployable assets including our Equity Response Teams. The ideal candidate will have strong understanding of equity, emergency management operations and emergency support functions, knowledge of the Incident Command Systems (ICS), National Incident Management System (NIMS), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and other recognized standards and best practices in emergency management. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have experience coordinating with the public and private sector, nonprofit, faith-based, and community-based organizations, and community stakeholders to promote equitable emergency management.
The incumbent will be responsible for the effective planning and implementation of emergency management servicesin accordance with organizational goals and objectives. This includes coordinating day-to-day operations, community-based organization partnerships, stakeholder outreach and engagement, training and development, and ensuring the growth and sustainability of our emergency management efforts.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS ROLE:
1. Strategize, implement, and maintain emergency management initiatives that adhere to organizational objectives and support the mission, vision, and goals of I-DIEM.
2. Develop emergency assessment protocols for evaluation and improvement.
3. Maintain organizational standards of satisfaction, quality, and performance.
4. Oversee multiple deployment teams, ensuring equitable emergency management strategies and approaches are effectively and efficiently met.
1. Support the Mission, Vision, and Goals of I-DIEM.
2. Support emergency management teams in servicing clients preparing for, responding to, and recovering from disasters nationwide.
3. Support emergency management teams in coordinating on-the-ground community-based emergency management efforts for vulnerable, underserved, and marginalized communities.
4. Contribute to mobilization, deployment, and operations of teams before, during, and after disaster.
5. Ensure all emergency operations plans integrate equity and adhere to federal, state, and local regulations.
6. Assist with the training of the deployable assets and on the ground public and private sector teams post-disaster.
7. Maximize disaster relief efforts by acting as the liaison between federal, state, local, and municipal agencies as well as VOADs, FBOs, and CBOs.
8. Prepare status and After-Action reports on organizational response and recovery efforts.
9. Planning and implementing community outreach programs.
10. Other duties as assigned by Chief Executive Officer.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management, public safety, or a related field.
2. CEM certification highly preferred.
3. Minimum 3 -5 years in an advanced management role.
4. Exceptional leadership, time management, facilitation, and organization skills.
5. Excellent critical thinking, organizational, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills.
6. Demonstrated ability to cultivate and establish collaborative relationships and partnerships.
7. Strong communication skills.
8. Strong writing skills and knowledge of evaluation processes.
9. Ability to travel as needed.
1. Master’s degree in Emergency Management, public safety, or a related field.
2. Bi-lingual preferred, but not required.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Driver’s License
The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity and is performed in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to sit for long periods; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards.
Work is subject to frequent interruptions and inflexible deadlines. Employee may be required to attend evening and weekend meetings. Work requires the ability to work well in team environments and requires ability to exercise quick judgment and decision-making. Work will require travel (25%) and combination of in-office/remote work.
Chauncia Willis, Chief Executive Officer, I-DIEM