Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug-Free Workplace
INSTITUTE FOR DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
JOB CODE: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Chief of Staff
LOCATION: Tampa, Florida
The Institute for Diversity and Inclusion in Emergency Management’s (I-DIEM) is a global, nonprofit established to facilitate change by integrating equity into all aspects of emergency management. Our mission is to support the development and implementation of innovative community-based, mitigation and adaptation projects to enhance resilience in diverse, vulnerable, and underserved communities. Essential to impactful change is the stellar abilities of our team to lead local, state, national, and global emergency management efforts that improve equitable mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery for vulnerable, underserved, and marginalized communities.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Staff, this position provides administrative support to ensure efficient office operations. The incumbent will support managers and staff through a variety of tasks related to organization and communication. The Administrative Assistant should be a versatile, proactive, motivated self-starter with experience in nonprofit organizations. This role will oversee tasks delegated by executive leadership, assist with scheduling, and support cross-coordination of project teams and activities. The ideal candidate should be a highly organized, adaptable, team player with the ability to prioritize tasks while working independently. Previous human resources experience is a plus.
- Support the Mission, Vision, and Goals of I-DIEM.
- Organize and schedule appointments and meetings.
- Produce and distribute internal and external correspondence memos, letters, faxes, and forms.
- Assist in the generation and preparation of regularly scheduled program and project reports.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for staff, management, and executive leadership.
- Assist in the preparation of organizational meeting agendas and minutes for staff and Advisory Board.
- Assist in the preparation of stakeholder presentations.
- Support the submission of grants, proposals, and research as defined by the Grants and Research team.
- Assist in the management of team expense reports.
- Establish organizational filing system.
- Develop and update administrative systems for efficiency.
- Demonstrate commitment to team and stakeholder needs with appropriate confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned by the executive leadership.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate’s degree.
- Expertise in office management systems and procedures.
- Exceptional leadership, time management, and organization skills.
- Excellent critical thinking, organizational, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and communication interfaces (i.e., Zoom, Teams, Google Meet, WebEx).
- 5-7 years’ experience in the field or in a related area.
- Strong writing skills and strong knowledge of organizational operations.
- Bi-lingual preferred, but not required.
- Florida Notary Public
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Driver’s License
The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity and is performed in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to sit for long periods; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards.
Work is subject to frequent interruptions and inflexible deadlines. Employee may be required to attend evening and weekend meetings. Work requires the ability to work well in team environments and requires ability to exercise quick judgment and decision-making. During periods of major disaster, all employees are expected and required to deploy as part of our Equity Response Team (ERT) and operate within assigned roles and responsibilities.
Work is subject to frequent interruptions and inflexible deadlines. Employee may be required to attend evening and weekend meetings. Work requires the ability to work well in team environments and requires ability to exercise quick judgment and decision-making. Work will require travel (25%) and combination of in-office/remote work.